Microbiology and Pathology of Plants
The activity of this group concentrates on the study of the bacterial and fungal diseases in horticultural and subtropical crops. It is composed of 6 doctors (3 of whom are staff members) and 7 predoctoral researchers. The group carries out its activities in the Department of Microbiology of the UMA and in the Andalusian Institute of Biotechnology (R+D Building of the UMA). It is also the Unit Associated with the CSIC, La Mayora Experimental Station.
- Biology and pathogenesis of bacteria and phytopathogenous fungi: Infection processes. Analysis and characterisation of virulence factors. Functional and comparative genomic analysis. Pathogen-plant-BCA interactions.
- Epidemiology and control of illnesses of horticultural and subtropical crops: population dynamics, genetic structure and resistance mechanisms against pesticides. Important diseases: apical necrosis and mango malformation. Avocado root rots. Gourd mildew.
- Biocontrol. Strategies compatible with ecological agriculture. Biotechnological approaches (application of bacteria or organic amends). Mechanisms involved in biocontrol.
- Control strategies and phytosanitary research.
- Detection of bacteria and fungi in plants.
- Diagnosis of bacteria and pathogenous fungi.
- Microbiological and toxicity analyses.
Main Researcher: ANTONIO DE VICENTE MORENO
PAI Reference: AGR169