G.I.E.M.S.A., Vascular and Hematic Biology
The International Group of Interdisciplinary Studies about Autotransfusion (G.I.E.M.S.A.), Vascular and Hematic Biology of the School of Medicine, University of Malaga, is specialized in the analysis of various blood conservation techniques and in the management of perioperative anemia. The group consists of 6 scientists with different medical backgrounds, e.g. anaesthetists or orthopedic surgeons. The most recent research project was the realization of a clinical study about an intravenous iron therapy with the aim to prove the efficiency and the benefits, not only for the patient, but also for their management by the medical staff.
- Cellular and humoral mediators in surgical immunosupression.
- Autotransfusion in cardiac and ortopedic surgery.
- Perioperative anemia: causes and diagnosis.
- Erythropoietin in surgery: Hematological and immunological effects.
- Intravenous iron: Compounds and indications.
- Clinical and base studies: ? Autotransfusion in cardiac and orthopedic surgery. ? Perioperative anemia. ? Erythropoietin in surgery. ? Intravenous iron.
- Advisor for design, indication and evaluation of blood reinfusion.
- Edition of text books about alternative to allogeneic transfusion.
- Organization of specialist seminars and courses.