Paleobiology, paleoclimatology and paleogeography
This research group works in the Faculty of Sciences and is constituted by a scientific team highly qualified in the field of Paleontology and Geology. Its members develop extensive studies throughout the Betic and other Mediterranean alpine cordilleras and are mainly focused on the postorogenic basins, Cenozoic Flysch nappes and Cretaceous sediments. This group has advised scientifically for museums and corporations with environmental and geological interests.
- Western Mediterranean paleogeography and Atlantic-Mediterranean communication during Neogene-Cuaternary.
- Paleogeographic and tectonic evolution of Tertiary basins in the circum-Mediterranean Alpine area.
- Biostratigraphy and chronostratigraphic studies based on planktonic foraminifers.
- Morphometric and taxonomic studies of several groups of organisms (planktonic foraminifers, ammonites, mammals).
- Taphonomy and paleoecology of Plio-Quaternary mammals.Biostratigraphy and chronostratigraphic studies based on planktonic foraminifers.
- Control of materials drilled in cores through micropaleontologic and microfacies analysis.
- Edaphologic and geologic environmental studies.
- Soils analysis: fertility and degradation.
- Dating and environmental characterization of sediment through micropaleontologic analysis.
- Technical advice on geodiversity studies.
- Technical advice on protection of geological and paleontological patrimony.