This group represents 36 investigators and the research work it performs is focused on how memory and cognitive functions are processed in the brain and what leads to dysfunction of this process in aging and in neurological (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, autism) and degenerative diseases (Alzheimer, Parkinson's and Huntington). This is a multidisciplinary team made up of neurologists, biologists, biochemists, pharmacologists and psychologists, and also has a strong international collaboration with various groups located in the United States of America, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Japan and New Zealand. In last five years, this group has acquired several patents and has gained experience in collaboration with multinational pharmaceutical industries. Recently, this laboratory discovered that a protein called RGS14, produce a robust enhancement in memory of rodents and primates. The memory enhancer effect of this protein after a single treatment lasts for life time in rodents and can recuperate memory loss seen in aging and in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer (for more information on RGS14 protein, visit its Facebook "Malaga Memory Research Group" associated with "Memorylab Malaga"). Furthermore, to achieve its objectives in translational research line, this group count upon the support of significant number of physicians. This team has an extensive resume with decades of experience in the area of biomedicine and some of the members have developed their research career or have received research training in renowned international research centers.
- Their basic research work''s line is dedicated to understand the mechanism of cognition and memory in brain and to identify the defects that account for memory loss observed in aging population and in patients with neurological and neurodegenerative disease.
- The translational research line is directed to identify biomolecules that are associated with memory functions and to further test the potential therapeutic application of these molecules as drugs against memory loss or memory dysfunction.
- Research project consultation, planning and development, and research collaboration across multiple disciplines, including biology and medicine.This group represents a team that has broad range of technical and methodological expertise.
- Exploration and study of the effect of molecules, food products and natural extracts on memory and behaviour.
- Identification and preclinical study of therapeutic targets directed to the discovery of novel drugs for the treatment of memory loss.
- Use of gene therapy to test the effectiveness of drugs or molecules against memory loss in animal models of aging and of neurological and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Open to accept participation of private or other type of investment in the project of a memory enhancer molecule, RGS14, which is at final stage of preclinical studies.