COGNITIVE NEUROSCIENCE: APHASIA AND RELATED DISORDERS CTS994
The research group of the Faculty of Psychology and Speech Therapy has an Audiovisual Laboratory including a soundproof booth for the Evaluation of Aphasia (Fondos FEDER: EQC2018-004803-P) in the Cognitive Neurology and Aphasia Unit (UNCA) of the Centre for Medical and Health Research (CIMES). Moreover, the group belongs to the Biomedical Research Institute of Malaga - IBIMA. Finally, we can highlight that this interdisciplinary group has extensive experience in studying aphasia and maintains frequent collaborations with other leading groups in this field of research at an international level.
- Combined treatment (intensive language therapy, pharmacological treatment, and non-invasive brain stimulation) of chronic post-stroke aphasia and associated psychiatric disorders as well as in speech disorders.
- Brain plasticity mechanisms are involved in aphasia rehabilitation, repetition and word learning in healthy subjects and persons with chronic post-stroke aphasia.
- Non-linguistic cognitive functions required in recovery from chronic post-stroke aphasia.
- Neuroanatomical and functional networks of speech production in foreign accent syndrome and its variants.
- Clinical trials on aphasia treatments.
- Scientific advice on the treatment of chronic post-stroke aphasia: clinical and translational research; teaching.
- Scientific-technical advice and post-processing of functional and structural Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Research into the brain networks involved in the benefits of aphasia treatments.
- Orientation towards personalised treatment of chronic post-stroke aphasia.
- Organisation of meetings and specialised training courses for health professionals on aphasia treatment based on scientific evidence.