RETINA MEDICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL
The research group Retina Medical and Experimental of the Department of Radiology and Physical Medicine, Ophthalmology and Ortorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, is specialized in the studies of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and the effects of VEGF antagonists on macular edemas and venous obstructions in individuals suffering from diabetes. Research is done with the help of experimental models, e.g., a glaucoma model for the analysis of apoptosis (programmed cell death) or the use of VEGF immunohistochemistry for the study of cortical neurodegeneration. In a third line of investigation, again in the context of diabetes, research is focused on immunohistochemical studies in conjunctival cytology in order to correlate the results with stages of retinopathy. The group has a profound experience in medical research and based on this expertise the members publish the journal OculÃstica Andaluza of the Andalusian Ophthalmological Society.
- Experimental diabetes.
- Axoplasmic flow.
- Renin-Angiotensin system.
- Platelet aggregation in experimental diabetes.
- VEGF in clinical and experimental diabetes.
- Effects of prostaglandin changes on intraocular pressure in uncontrolled patients suffering from simple chronic glaucoma.
- Studies using Optical Coherence Tomography.
- Study of conjunctival cytology.
- Edition and publication of journals specialized in ophthalmology.